Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
As for electrifying a kids trian:

I built a 10" gauge track in my yard and was going to electrify it, but in
the initial build, I used bicycle pedals mounted at hand height for
propulsion.  Glad I did.  Kids from miles around found their way to our
house, but then tired after a few rounds and went home.  If it was
electric, they would never leave!

Hah! Thanks for my laugh of the day. :-)

What a great project! You must have been the #1 dad in the neighborhood.

I suggest electrifying the rails at 56 volts or so and use that to charge
an onboard 48v battey.  The battery provides the surge power and the rails
keep it charged.

The battery is a good idea, so the train can accelerate faster or start with a heavier load. It lowers the peak current and voltage drop in the rails.

56v seems kind of high for something kids will be around. Some electric trolley systems used high voltages for the rails, but sensed when the car was actually on it, and only turned on power to that specific section.

My rails were made of 1" angle iron with strips of PT lumber for the ties.
Problem is, pruning. So over the 30 years, the tracks have all disappeared
under the foliage and are abandoned.

I've seen some commercial "yard-size" train sets like this (complete with train powered by pedals). They had sections of track that plugged together, just like a toy train set, so you could put them down and pick them up quickly.

Lee Hart
--
If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
        - something to do