The naysayers can always argue against anything that doesn't fit the usual
paradigm of heavy = safe. But if you put the solar on your roof you are limited
to that area and you can't gain energy while driving. What gives me hope
instantly is 4 generations of this vehicle have be built and were winners. The
last two generations were reduced in KW both in battery and panels because of
the outstanding performance during the challenge. I suspect the basic design
might be adopted as a van. Possibly a Van could be engineered to be light
enough and big enough for the energy collected to be meaningful. The Stella
vehicles can charge in 10 hours . They could gain 200 miles a day just sitting
in one place then driven another 200 miles again and again. Or they could drive
45 mph most of the day infinitely.  The other thing that gives me hope is every
time I talk to one of my Tesla company friends(engineers)about the possibility
of a solar car they clam up like their job was in danger. Musk has never talked
about the practical aspects of producing a truly solar vehicle. Tesla and Musk
are averse about their future projects. Talk about disruption. Imagine if a
practical solar car could be built?  I want one. Lawrence Rhodes