Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
I don’t disagree, but neither do I care. I don’t want a company
holding on to a business that doesn’t work for them. I’d rather they
sell it to someone interested in making it work.

The problem with that is that if the business is poor, they can't get anything for it. And if the business is good, they can sell it for a lot; but then they lose out on the profits. The new business can wind up running the old company out of their old business.

There are many examples where an old established company failed to appreciate the promise of a new technology, or new market opportunity. One example would be the mechanical watch industry. They *invented* the digital watch; but couldn't see how it could ever pay. So they sold it. Digital watches took over the market, and drove most of the mechanical watch companies out of business.

Further, if they can seed and build a company with solidly
environmental products, I’m thrilled. It’s tough to do if you don’t
have the wherewithal.

Ironically, it's the big companies that have the wherewithal to try something new. They can afford to invest in the R&D to perfect a new idea, and bring it to market.

The small start-up may have a great idea; but they struggle to bring it to market. Especially because the big company is likely to fight them tooth and nail to keep any new idea out of the market.

Even better, if they can transition their business to make the
positive products a larger and larger part of their business until
the fossil portion disappears ... hallelujah!

Yes; but man, is that ever rare! Can you think of any examples where a major company has successfully transitioned from their old business to a new business? Most of them would rather DIE than change.

Lee Hart

--
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is
        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery