But, imagine, self driving or not, having semi trucks line up and drive
over a railway spur. Then, lower their steel wheels, and drive off as a
train, of sorts.

EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
I see the big positives here, but I also see a troubling side effect.
Freight is the lifeblood of rail service.  This scheme would effectively
kill traditional railroads, including passenger service.

Like any new idea, there will be details to work out. But I think the idea has merit, and would be worth a try. Find some ways to do some demonstration projects.

They already load semi-trailers onto flat cars to deliver them by rail. It's a lot quicker and easier to transferring the contents from the trailer to the boxcar. Stepping up to putting the entire truck on the tracks could be easier yet.

In the old days, the spacing between trains was set by the signaling problems. You couldn't space them too closely in case something went wrong. It takes a train miles to stop; so they wanted to leave miles between them for safety.

Today, we have far better methods of signaling. If the lead train or truck-train has trouble, it can electronically warn all the ones behind it to stop NOW! I'd guess that trucks with rubber tires could stop a heck of a lot faster in an emergency than a train car on steel wheels. Maybe a panic stop would drop the truck's tires onto the roadbed.

Regarding passenger service: I recall an idea that Rick Woodbury had for his Tango EVs. They were short enough to sit crossways on a standard railcar. The idea was to have ramps on each side of a flatcar. Train pulls into station, ramps lower, and you can drive your EV right on. Ramps raise, and train heads to next station. You have your own "private car", with heat, A/D, music, TV or whatever. When the train reaches the stop for your destination, just drive off, and you're "there", with your own car.

But the railroads said nope, never, no way, can't be done...

Lee

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering