On 6 Dec 2020 at 21:54, Peter VanDerWal via EV wrote:

> Every year they pull up more tracks and covert the railway to something
> else.  I doubt they will ever be able to get them back.

I'm not a rail expert by any means, and maybe I don't pay attention in the
right places, but I don't see this happening anywhere but in the US.

With the possible exception of the UK and their Tory wrecking crew, Europe
and Asia are pretty well invested in, and committed to, rail service.
Europe's yearly rail passenger-km figure is about 24 times what ours is.

Ride the TGV in France or the Shinkansen in Japan and you'll see why US
railroads literally can't keep up.  Both run most lines between 150 and
200mph.  (Obligatory EV content: they're electric trains.)

China and other places also have high speed rail, but I haven't read much
about those systems.

It doesn't help that US politicians of a certain persuasion, and dozens of
influential US thnk tanks, keep beating on our railroads.  Much of this is
funded and led by oil money.  I'm looking at YOU, Charles Koch.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my