I recommend the iCharger 306B for charging individual cells, it can do up to 30 amps.

Jay

On 3/13/21 3:29 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
John, first of all, a '65 Falcon conversion is a SUPER COOL idea.  I'm
jealous. Well done!

Second, I'm far from a lithium battery expert, but I'm having trouble seeing
why you're concerned with "bottom balancing."  I don't see why it would be
necessary or even desirable.

As I understand it, the BMS's job is to

(1) Limit and eventually shut down the discharge when any cell is flat

(2) Limit the charge rate when any cell is full

(3) Balance - that is bring up the other cells to full charge without
overcharging the already-full cells

This is how you get the optimum capacity from your battery without damaging
it.

It seems to me that if the BMS can't bring all the cells up to full charge
even with a very long balancing session, then one short term solution is to
individually charge each cell until it's full.

Then see if the BMS can keep the cells properly balanced over a period of
cycling.  If it can't, it seems likely that the cells are inconsistent in
usable capacity.

This can be from several causes including

(1) Cells aging at different rates

(2) Some cells newer than others (replaced for premature failure?)

(3) Careless manufacturing quality control which causes inconsistent
capacity and/or varying self-discharge levels

(4) Inconsistent temperature across cells in the battery, which can easlly
happen in coversions where the cells are distributed around the car with
multiple boxes and simple/passive air cooling

(5) Tapping the battery for various loads at different voltages

As I say I'm not an expert and those here who are can probably add to this
list.

I hope that I haven't given you any incorrect information, and welcome
corrections if I have.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

      I found one day in school a boy of medium size ill-treating
      a smaller boy. I expostulated, but he replied: "The bigs hit
      me, so I hit the babies; that's fair." In these words he
      epitomized the history of the human race.

             -- Bertrand Russell, "Education and the Social Order"