Even on a 2012, there are connectors on the orange wiring harness, up
front, that will allow the charge port assembly to be disconnected from the
rest of the system. Should not need to do anything with the rear mounted
charger system itself. The front bumper will probably need to be removed,
and maybe some other front stuff, to get the needed access.

Basic tools should be sufficient (screwdrivers/socket set/plyers). I'd
consider the task to be DIY-friendly, at least if you have a helper for the
bumper. Avoid disconnecting any air conditioning refrigerant lines. There
are also heater/coolant lines in the front. I think it should be possible
to work around these lines.

Also plan on replacing both the J1772 plug and socket, as a bad plug will
damage a bad socket, and vice versa. Failing J1772 ports on cars can damage
previously good charger plugs at stations. Failing J1772 charger plugs at
stations can damage previously good ports on cars.

The contacts are likely pitted from arcing, which leads to high resistance,
which leads to heating, and eventually melting. Sometimes the arcing can be
heard, especially if it is severe, or you may smell ozone near a freshly
disconnected connector.

My advice is to periodically inspect the charge port and charge plugs,
especially when using a new station.