Mark: "In pondering what attraction a FCEV might have over a BEV, I hit upon an

>> extremely minor one.  BEVs do not shed mass as they are driven, while
>> FCEVs do.  So, FCEVs should see a very slight rise in efficiency as they
>> expend their fuel while BEVs do not.  I am NOT claiming that it should
>> be a consideration when making buying decisions.  But, since we are
>> grasping for straws, it is SOMETHING.”

This is only true for ICE vehicles in stop/go (ie urban) driving where you have
to accelerate the mass of the vehicle up to speed and then lose all that energy
braking to a stop again, repeatedly.  On the open road and sticking to a
relatively constant speed, the main force using using energy is aerodynamic
drag (and tyre/road friction plus that of the mechanicals of the drivetrain).
In an EV, much of the braking in stop/go energy can be recovered by
regenerative braking, thus the ’shed mass’ argument is severely undermined.
The same applies to hilly terrain.

"As far as source of hydrogen for fuel cells, people make a wrong jump in logic
on this. Some will say that 90% of the hydrogen made is from fossil natural
gas, and therefore that 90% of the hydrogen used in fuel cells in
transportation is from fossil natural gas.
*That?s* incorrect.
In California, if you were pumping hydrogen into your fuel car recently, the
hydrogen you were pumping was 90%+ renewable, and not fossil.”

Please provide evidence of this.

In any event, to my mind it is perfectly ridiculous to waste 70% of renewably
generated electricity by converting it to H2 and then re-converting it back to
electricity again when you can get better than 85% efficiency by simply storing
it in a battery instead.  That is no improvement on the equally insane waste of
natural resources in using fossil fuelled ICEs (whilst ruining our environment
at the same time).  At least Scania (a large European truck maker) have
realised this recently - see newatlas.com/automotive/scania-ditches-hydrogen
<http://newatlas.com/automotive/scania-ditches-hydrogen> … although why they
didn’t realise it was a waste of time from the start given how many other large
vehicle makers have gone down the same road in the past (Audi, IIRC, did so in
the 90’s or early ’00’s) will remain a mystery.