You are being generous Tesla claims they get 10% back and proud of it. I much
prefer the coasting to regen. I wish I could turn it off

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, August 24, 2021, 5:12 AM, Jay Summet via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

On 8/24/21 2:56 AM, Martin WINLOW via EV wrote:
>In an EV, much of the braking in stop/go energy can be recovered by
>regenerative braking, thus the ’shed mass’ argument is severely undermined.
>The same applies to hilly terrain.

I can't let this statement go unremarked as it propagates a common
misconception.  Regen captures some of the power lost from braking or
going downhill, but the efficiency is probably 15-25% of the total
energy used to accelerate or climb the hill initially.  So it
re-captures "much" more than an ICE vehicle does using mechanical brakes
that drop the energy as heat, but it is not a magic energy recovery
system. (Unless you have your vehicle towed to the top of a hill, all of
the energy re-gen captures came out of your vehicle on the way up the
hill or acceleration curve.)

Coasting without power is MUCH more efficient than stopping with regen
and then re-accelerating in a BEV (or an ICE for that matter).

Jay