"that the grid can't handle" is just another example of market distortion.
It is a choice of the market, not to say "the grid can't handle so much
generation of non-RE."

There is a lag in response of the market when you build a gas plant or a
nuke that can't be turned down when the cost leans toward RE. A decades
long distortion.

Again the consumer pays. Because this lost flexibility is cooked in The
gain of economy of scale a maybe archaic large generation facility has a
hidden cost of preventing cleaner less costly, more flexible, but weirdly
time constrained RE generation.

I think H2 might be useful as a storage medium. Lots of inefficiency, but
on a large scale it has merit. Better than turning down or shutting off a
clean cheap generation means.