Batteries on a large scale fall behind H2 storage if you have big enough
tanks, and if you correctly factor in the costs of batteries and tanks.
Where the lines cross is an open question.

I live 10 miles from a big gas depot in Selma NC. They hold lot and are
very simple, big inverted buckets that rise and fall with the gas. You can
electrolyze H2 into a tank and you get compression for free. Battery
manufacturing, care and feeding is non-trivial. H2 is worth a look for grid
size storage.

Pump storage is similar in efficiency, but hell on the environment,
destroying important watersheds, drowning arable land and habitat. Big dams
cost a lot. Turbines. Makes a tank of gas attractive.