On 10 Dec 2021 at 10:33, Ken Olum via EV wrote:

> ... the software turns on the HV system periodically to charge the
> house battery.  This seems even less safe than having it always, for
> example if someone is working on the car when the HV system turns on
> unexpectedly.

I think I recall reading that Teslas do this too.

I get the impression that EV mechanics are supposed to disable the HV
battery unless they're specifically working on the drive system and need to
have it active.  I suppose it's like electricians locking out circuits
they're working.  Now whether the mechanics actually DO that, any more than
most electricians actually lock out circuits, I couldn't say.

Many years ago, in my Honda conversion, I connected the DC:DC to always
float-charge the house battery.  That decision bit me in the tail when I put
the car in storage for several months, and carelessly neglected to open the
main breaker.

I would hope that with all the computer power they have on board, modern
production EVs are smart enough to stop trying to charge the house battery
when it's obviously unable to accept a charge, or when the traction battery
is getting low on charge.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     We don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding
     a cure for jerks.

                           -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"