On 13 Dec 2021 at 17:15, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> If the current price were half that of electrolyte cells, then double
> the energy density would be a wash on overall cost. Of course, there are other
> factors.

Except that that's not what's doubled.  It's the specific energy in Wh/KG
that's doubled.

Doubling SE is great, but how it effects EV range vs cost depends on battery
cost per unit of weight.  Also, if it's a larger battery, some of the cost
vs range advantage could be wiped out by engineering and tooling costs to
redesign the battery and mounting, and material costs in manufacturing.

However, doubling the *energy density* in *Wh per liter* would mean that for
a given SIZE of battery, the storage capacity would double.  That's HUGE. It
would allow nearly doubled range for any existing EV without redesign of the
battery tray.  Alas, that's not the case here.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong
     impulse to see it tried on him personally.

                                              -- Abraham Lincoln