Hi Folks
I asked the great god google since I was curious why I hear things whirring
when parked. There’s some info on Teslamotorsckub.com but a good analysis of
the patent from March 7, 2019/0070924A1 on
www.insideEVs.com/news/452464/Tesla-model-y-heat-pump-system-details/.   It
shows that 2019/earlier was resistance heat using 2170W vs 735W for the mini
split heat pump.  It also scavenges heat like a geothermal heat pump below 14F
from the motor/inverter/battery liquid cooling circuit.  Below that it goes
onto COP=1 mode (like leaving your fridge door open) where it runs the
condenser discharge air back to the evaporator inlet (runs condenser/evaporator
same time) resulting in 5.5KW of effective resistance heat.  When the cabin
gets above 50F during the day in the sun sitting in a parking lot, it sucks the
heat out and stores in the battery mass heat sink.  Then reuses that heat when
driving home in the cold weather after the sun goes down.  So they play a lot
of efficiency games to get the best range (unlike my Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf
that’s only resistance heat).  The Hyundai Kona and Kia Nero EVs use a similar
mini split heat pump and scavenge heat from the motor/inverter/battery.
Stay Charged,
Mark