On 28 Feb 2022 at 16:35, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> Taiga snowmobiles start at about $17,490

Perhaps they, or someone here, could tell me how that compares with an ICE
snowmobile's cost.  I haven't a clue.

Oh wait, I see later on:

> the company estimates that its electric snowmobiles are priced about
> $2,000 to $2,500 higher than gas equivalents.

The company *estimates*?  They don't *know*?

That seems like something they'd want to investigate well enough to know,
but who am I to say?

> Snowmobiles in the United States consumed almost 150 million gallons of
> gasoline in 2020, the Federal Highway Administration estimated.
> Nonhighway motorcycles used more than 216 million gallons and
> all-terrain vehicles another 382 million. Boating guzzled a whopping
> 2.3 billion gallons. Combined, thatTMs the equivalent to the
> planet-warming carbon dioxide emissions of nearly 6 million cars
> operating for a year.

The EIA says that US transportation use of gasoline was 123 billion gallons
in 2020.  So the above would save roughly 2.9% of the use, IF they could
replace all of them.

That's not exactly dramatic, but it's not insignificant either.

Also, boating uses more fuel (and thus emits more carbon) than I would have
thought.  Hmm.

This would also reduce noise pollution, which is a not-inconsiderable matter
with those nefarioius machines.

> Small gasoline engines can also be outsize contributors of other
> pollutants, such as smog and unburned gasoline

That's rather odd language, and it makes me wonder how well informed the
writer is.

ICEs don't themselves emit smog, though I suspect that 2-strokes might emit
more particulates than 4-stroke (I'm speculating about that).  However, smog
actually is made in the atmosphere.  It comes from *2* products of ICE fuel
combustion, especially in engines with minimal or no emission controls.
Unburned hydrocarbons combine with oxides of nitrogen in sunlight (UV) to
produce smog.

> burgeoning electric recreation industry

I hope they're right about that.  Maybe there are places where it's so.
California?

Around here, my impression is that many of the fine gentlemen who run their
snowmobiles and ATVs up and down our road and across my neighbor's back
property aren't the sort who'd have much interest in electric versions.
Sometimes I think that for them, the noise and stink are features, not bugs.

Regardless, I wish Taiga the best.  It's a laudable goal, and I'm pleased to
see any effort to replace ICEVs with EVs.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars.
     It's where the rich use public transportation.

                                    -- Gustavo Petro