> hundreds of thousands of cells allowing cars to recharge in less than
> 10 minutes.

It seems as if almost every electrochemist and lab working on batteries puts
this at the top of the feature list.

Why?  Isn't fast charging at up to 350kW already possible with existing
batteries?  That much power can charge a 100kWh battery from 20%  to 80% in
10 minutes.

If you can get it!  As I see it, the infrastructure required to blast that
much power into multiple vehicles at a motorway charging stop is the big
challenge.  It's not the battery's ability to accept a charge.

It's been a rule of thumb since about forever that with proper management an
EV battery can charge about as quickly as it can discharge.  So if you can
send 350kW to the wheels, you can put 350kW back into the battery.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

We also already have capacity that we hardly dreamed of even a decade ago.
Heck, back in 2000, 15kWh was a big battery.  Today around 50-60kWh is
common in garden variety EVs, and in the ignorant behemoths that the
irresponsible car companies are pushing (just as they do in ICEVs),
batteries are more like 70-90kWh, with some at least proposed that are over
100kWh.  So I don't see that capacity is such a big problem any more.

But again, maybe there's something here that I don't see.

The world is growing more unstable by the day, with politicians waving flags
and clubs, and pushing their nationalist belligerence.  Present batteries
use raw materials that raise political concerns. It seems to me that instead
of worrying so much about charging speed, electrochemists should be
concentrating their efforts on developing batteries that use raw materials
that are more plentiful, more widely distributed, and less expensive.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that
     help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

                                    -- Carl Sagan, "Pale Blue Dot"