> ... politicians waving flags and clubs and pushing
> their nationalist belligerence.  Present batteries
> use raw materials that raise political concerns. ... instead
> of worrying so much about charging speed, electrochemists
> should be concentrating their efforts on developing batteries
> that use raw materials that are more plentiful, more
> widely distributed, and less expensive.

Proposed solution that hits all your points, except one:

Hot Air Batteries!

No shortage of that on the world stage today, or ever.

Sorry, no way can I see anything that involves politicians as being less expensive!!

Think of the possible spin-off products:

Bluster Batteries
Chest-Pounding Cells
Flag-Waving Supercapacitors
Back-Room Deal BMS's
Filibuster Charge Monitors
Voter Fraud Warranty Extension Policies
Stop The Steal Smart Phone Security Apps

Many more to come!