Well, it depends on how closely matched the packs are.  If they are good
quality and closely matched, then you don't really need the cell
interconnects between the 2 strings to be all that stiff.   Consider that
most BMS balancing loads are 100ma or less, it's unlikely to have much more
than that flowing between the 2 strings unless there is an actual failure.
I've used silicone-insulated 20awg wire for this on a pack before.   In the
event of a short, the 20awg will fuse and the silicone will not burn and
allow the conductors to melt through.  If you have an outright failure then
this could happen, but otherwise the resistance of the 20awg interconnects
will limit the cross-flow current during high pack draw, but allow them to
still cross-balance.