EV List Lackey via EV wrote:
Lee Hart via EV wrote:
That's $400,000 per bus! ... You're not going to get many schools to adopt
them at that price.

Maybe some high school shop class should take on the challenge of
converting one?

Wouldn't that be great?  Healthy for both the schools' budgets and the kids'
education.

Unfortunately, that resounding thud that you just heard was several hundred
school board lawyers across the nation clasping their chests and face-
planting.  Can you say "liability"?

Have we really become so bureaucratic and fearful of change that nothing can be done except "the way we've always done it"?

If you're converting an existing bus, it already meets safety standards. Trading the gas tank and engine for batteries and an electric motor is likely to *improve* safety and reliability. If students do the work, it can certainly be inspected and approved by competent experts.

Heck; make it a hybrid. Keep the ICE, and just add an electric motor in-line with the drive shaft. Add a bank of batteries and controller under the bus. Drive the bus electrically, and only use the ICE as needed for higher speeds or longer range. Now you have a backup system for that "what if it stalls on the railroad tracks" scenario.

There have been entirely too many failures among fleet conversions in the
past - say from around 1970 to 2000 or 2010. I think that there were lots of
reasons for the failures...

There is always a chance of failure. But we learn more from our failures than our successes. Knowing what didn't work means you know what *not* to do the next time.

I simply cannot accept that the situation is hopeless.

Lee Hart
--
"#3 pencils and quadrille pads." -- Seymour Cray, when asked
what CAD tools he used to design the Cray I supercomputer

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/