That’s not a problem. Get the Tesla supercharger app. They didn’t impact the
grid.

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, November 24, 2022, 10:39 AM, Matthew Pitts via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

Peri,
The problem is that you'll need far more locations to charge EV Semi Trucks
than just at current Truck Stop locations, because quite often drivers stop
to sleep at rest areas along the interstate highway system. We actually do
need a massive upgrade to the grid to compensate for the shift in charging
locations.
Matthew Pitts
Get BlueMail <https://bluemail.me> for Desktop
Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
Hi Bill,
I'm going to push back, not specifically to argue, but to get clearer on
the details. I hope you can fill in where I'm vague or counter where I'm
wrong.
If an EV semi can charge overnight, that helps. Let's sketch some calcs.
Let's say overnight is 10 hours and the battery is 1MWh. If just one truck
charges, that's a benign 100kW supply. According to
https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/infrastructure/truck_parking/jasons_law/truckparkingsurvey/ch2.htm#:~:text=Approximately%2039%20percent%20of%20facilities,provide%2025%20to%2099%20spaces.&text=The%20presence%20of%20shower%20facilities,meals%2C%20entertainment%2C%20etc.)

39% have 1-24 overnight spaces and 40% have 25 to 99. Let's use 50 trucks
in this sketch. So the typical truck stop needs to accommodate 50 * 100kW =
5MW. That's a pretty good load.
Sure, local PV + a huge battery on site would help, but I think the grid
has to be part of the solution. I presume 5MW in most locations is still
not a big problem, though.
But, now, let's look a short term rapid charging. While truck drivers on
long trips do need to stop overnight (or over day) to sleep, if they drive
500 miles in a day, they'll almost certainly need to charge at least once
en route. Let's say for one hour at 500kWh. At any given moment, there
could be (guessing) 20 trucks stopped for an hour. That would be a 10MW
power draw. Now, I'll guess, the grid could be pushed beyond capacity along
some highways. Don't forget, the grid is also going to have to handle new
loads from EV cars, etc.
A large local battery and solar panels would help by evening out the peaks
and, perhaps, storing some energy captured during the day for use at night.
And, over time, perhaps it could be built out enough to be quite
significant. But the grid still needs to be there because, you know, there
are cloudy days, etc.
And, yes, truck drivers do drive at night. My anecdotal experience along
the I5 corridor on the US west coast is that most trucks are on the freeway
at night. There's too much traffic during the day. That means, "overnight"
charging can happen during the day.
In summary, I don't know enough about grid capacity to know how many
highways could handle these example loads or not. Your point is well taken
that, if truckers can charge during periods when there's less load on the
grid, that will help significantly. Perhaps most can. I can imagine new
apps that give real time variable pricing and pricing projections, e.g.
charging available in 10 miles at $0.20/kWh now, or in 100 miles, two hours
awat at $0.12/kWh, giving the driver some choices to mull over.
Peri
<< Annoyed by leaf blowers ? https://quietcleanseattle.org/ >>