Robert Johnston via EV wrote:
Okay, I've been looking into/thinking about this for a bit, and I see
several ways this could be handled.

1. Electrified rail

Still widely used around the world, especially for commuter trains. A practical solution that has stood the test of time.

2. Pantagraphs

These have also been used for over 100 years right up to the present. The huge Pennsylvania railroad electrified 40% of the tracks with overhead wires and pantographs, many of which are still in use.

City buses were also frequently electrified with overhead wires. Last I knew, Seattle WA city buses still use this method.

3. Batteries on the trailer

That makes good sense. Since trailers are usually parked outside, PV panels on the roof could be a significant source of power for charging.

4. Solar Roadways

Yes; not in the roadway, but alongside the right of way. PV panels along the roadway have become pretty common for powering lighting, communication, and advertising signs. Given the penchant to always have a sign in sight along highways, there could be ample opportunities to add PV to most or all of them.

5. Solar roofs on warehouses, solar covered parking for trucks, trailers
and tractors

Yes again.

Industry has shown it can co-operate. Look at the standardized sizes of
shipping containers, and palettes, for instance. Or the standard "Fifth
Wheel" system.

Well... industry cooperates when *forced* to do so. Who will have the "guts" to force them to standardize on EV charging, battery sizes, PV panels and systems?

What I see so far are standards that seek to monopolize or monetize systems.

I'm not saying any of these are perfect solutions, and they will all take
work and investment to achieve; but they are possible, would make a not
inconsiderable difference, and can be done right now.

Yes, alternative solutions always exist that can be practical and economically feasible. However, the established vested interests will work very hard to prevent any new system from supplanting the ones they already have.

Breaking free of "the way we've always done it" requires some disruptive element that's powerful enough to force a tipping point. It's happened before: The printing press, the electric light bulb, and the microcomputer are all examples of technologies that were powerful enough to break the status quo and so change the world.

EVs may have that same kind of power; but they haven't reached the "tipping point" yet.

Lee

--
"#3 pencils and quadrille pads." -- Seymour Cray, when asked
what CAD tools he used to design the Cray I supercomputer

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/