John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
On 12/11/2022 9:32 AM, Lee Hart via EV wrote:
John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
So you are saying that they should first produce a cheaper very low profit margin vehicle - so that they won't have enough cash to grow production at a high rate and be able to product a LOT more vehicles?

Henry Ford did. So did VW.

Success can be found by selling a very small number of very expensive vehicles... or a very large number of inexpensive vehicles. Which one is likely to put the world on (EV) wheels?

So, why isn't the Nissan Leaf outselling Teslas?
It's a low-cost EV.

I don't know the secret formula for success. Apparently, neither does Nissan.

But I do think it lies somewhere in what Paul MacCready of Aerovironment said when they made the Impact EV for GM. "It wasn't a success because we got one thing perfect; it was because we got everything good enough."

I think the problem the automakers have is that they are trying to optimize just one thing; and that is profit. Everything else falls by the wayside.

Lee
--
"#3 pencils and quadrille pads." -- Seymour Cray, when asked
what CAD tools he used to design the Cray I supercomputer

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/