The most likely explanation was he left a fob in the car.  (On Model 3 the
fob is optional, but works so much better than the phone, a lot of people
get one)   Sounds like he was driving his "wife's" car, so that seems even
more probable.

The only other way is if both guys had their phone or fob within bluetooth
range of VCSEC (Vehicle security controller) or one of the 4 Bluetooth
endpoints around the car.   In theory if both guys walked up to 2 cars next
to each other, they both could get into each-others cars and drive off, no
problem.

I've done a lot of analysis of VCSEC, and I even now know how to program a
new key into one where all keys are lost, and it's pretty well thought
out.  This same system is used on 3, Y, and 2021+ Model S and X.