Back in the early 2000's, Bill Moore, publisher of EV World, was in
the Toyota Museum in Japan.  He was speaking with the Director of the
Museum and Bill asked about Toyota planning with respect to hydrogen
fuel cells and electric vehicles.  This was at a time when CARB was
dissing EVs for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles (HFCV).  The Director told
Bill that he spoke with the Chairman of the Board.  The Chairman would
speak with his fellow chairmen of the petroleum companies about future
prices and supplies.  He would then talk with his Board of Directors
about planning future vehicles.  The Director said that if they did
not get their planning right, they would go bankrupt.  Which brings up
further the question of why hasn't Toyota produced an EV and why they
have stayed so long with HFCVs.  Even back then, knowing of the
inefficiencies of hydrogen production, it was plain as day that HFCVs
were not the way to go.

https://electrek.co/2020/04/23/work-on-goodenoughs-breakthrough-solid-state-ev-battery-moves-forward/
:
" We start working on iron phosphate with John in 1996. It took almost
15 years for that technology to become commercially valuable."

Here in the EVDL, we started to experiment with Lithium Iron Phosphate
in the late 2000's(?)  A123 was founded in 2001.  A number of EVDL'ers
bought CALB batteries.  We could see the advantages of Lithium Iron
Phosphate even back then.  This furthers the mystery of why Toyota did
not climb aboard the EV wagon?  Were the Board members too polite to
question the direction of the CEO?  It's a puzzlement.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/