I read somewhere that Toyota may have been reacting to the US government's 1990's forward looking "Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles" program which included only domestic auto manufacturers and was showing results toward 80mpg - and when PNGV was subsequently cancelled by Bush Jr. (at the behest of those same domestic auto manufacturers), that gave Toyota an opportunity with its independent R&D to eventually hit a home run with the Prius.

Being the clear winner in hybrid tech, it wouldn't be unusual or unexpected to want to protect a successful market. Waves of disruption don't usually come from those benefiting from and clinging to fading moats (with some exceptions). But eventually a buggy whip market share will fall, along with companies who fail to disrupt and reinvent themselves toward a more successful future.

Public companies are no less threatened by lack of vision than family managed companies. GM did go bankrupt, for example. We all bailed them out. And Chrysler was swallowed up.

Toyota has plenty of experience with EV tech but they need to evolve their business model. Hope they pull it off, and soon.