Thanks, I guess it is somewhat useful to be reminded of this.  In the meantime:

- I spoke to a fellow Model S 70 driver at a supercharger this past weekend who said that the 70s were well-known for particularly slow charging, but that he was happy (I'm understating his wording) in that his very slow-charging battery had gone bad and Tesla had replaced it under warranty with a 90 (they don't make 70 any more) that they had locked to 70.  The net impact was that his supercharging rate was dramatically improved (about 2x as fast he said).  He was of the view that he is being forced to just charge in the sweet spot of the 90, and this is why it is so fast.  I think he said the minimum he has seen is 80 kW. This leaves open a question of: if I pay for a battery upgrade to 90, would it also be that fast.  But, in any event, I think this one conversation seems valuable to assure me that it can be done (to get the faster speeds) even if Tesla for some bizarre reason will not ensure it, and I'm not certain of it.  I also think it reduces my concern that Tesla might be making the 70s slow in order to incent trading in a vehicle equipped with the valuable free supercharging. - The speeds themselves that I am seeing are simply unacceptable. When I combine them with the small capacity, the vehicle I have is nearly un-usable for long road trips.  It was really refreshing to be able to discuss this with a fellow driver.
- Some more data from this trip:
On one leg I made a point of depleting down to 25%.  When supercharging from there, I briefly saw 90 kW (?!).  This was down to 75 kW within a couple of minutes, and then within a few more minutes (I'd have to check some screenshots to see how long) was down below 50 kW.  By 80 or 90%, it was down to 18 kW.

Bottom line, I'd be ok to say yes now to upgrading (at about $22k):
- if I could get a refreshed straight answer from Tesla as to how much it costs (surprisingly difficult) and what I get for the money - if there was not an occasional concern about trustworthiness of the automaker (but I suppose this goes for others too)
- if the CEO was not taking so many morally questionable positions.

Josh