I have over 3000 salvage and unsupported Teslas connected to my server,
Most of them are older Model S.  I very rarely see an owner need to replace
a battery pack.  The worst of the repairs needed on older Model S is the
drive unit.  There was a known engineering flaw on units made before about
2015.   Followed by occasional contactor failure.  By 2015 the Model S was
very reliable, Tesla had fixed almost all of the problems from 2012-2014.

Degradation of the battery pack is a pretty slow stable thing, not a
phenomenon where you wake up one day and you need a new battery.  Tesla
recently revealed the average battery capacity (and range) degradation
figures.  According to what I saw, the average battery capacity lost after
200k miles is 12%.   This jives almost perfectly with the data I have seen
on the ~3000 cars connected to my server.
Article:
https://insideevs.com/news/664106/tesla-battery-capacity-degradation-average-2022/

Now the slow supercharging is most definitely a thing.  As I said in my
previous email, I routinely downgrade owners to software before the
2019.16.x "hobble".   Almost all of my clients elect to keep older software
when I inform them that moving to newer will only take away capacity and
charging speed and result in a more laggy touchscreen interface.

On cars 2015 and newer, they are very reliable.  Most maintenance consists
of Windshield Washer fluid, Occasionally a set of tires, and a new 12v
battery every 4-6 years.   I also recommend drive unit fluid changes every
50k miles.   Most owners might have to put on a set of brake pads somewhere
North of 100k.

There is a flaw in the early Model S ball joints and fore links where they
were incorrectly hardened which can cause them to fail suddenly.  I've had
it happen on 3 of my cars, and heard from countless others about this.
It's my biggest complaint about the Model S, and I think there should have
been a recall over it.  (There was in China for the same cars).

Other than that just some minor and relatively inexpensive niggles for
older cars.  The door handles, the trunk latch and cinching motor, power
window regulators, Falcon wing doors and door latches on the Model X.
(Don't buy a Model X, It's the most problematic Tesla!)

The Model 3 and Y are really amazing.  They do not seem to have any common
failures.