I've noticed there are 2 camps:  One side who views a car as an appliance
to get from A to B, and the other side who is either an enthusiast, and/or
views cars as status symbols.  My father is in the first camp.  I'm
somewhere in the middle, but I love technology and engineering.  My father
buys base model Toyotas, because they are reliable and get him from A to B
with little fanfare.   I enjoy a car with good performance and handling,
and enjoy features such as Tesla Autopilot (on the highway).  It has to be
reliable, but I will spend more to have those things.

Sadly there is little profit in selling cars to the A-B crowd, so
manufacturers concentrate on the other side mainly.  Lots of tech,
features, and now the trend is large touchscreens.   This is even slowly
trickling down to the A-B cars too.

I also disdain the loss of Privacy, but all my Teslas have been rooted and
I removed all the upstream logging.   Of course even with that I am still
fighting a losing battle.  My city recently installed ALPR (License Plate)
cameras at all roads into the city, so now everyone is tracked and put into
a privately-owned national database with no oversight.   I attempted to
raise objections, but the majority of sheeple in my town are glad that
these cameras are in because they "aren't doing anything wrong" and it may
help the cops catch criminals that devalue their property.