On 1 Nov 2023 at 0:56, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> Instead, chargers need to be located where people can usefully spend
> some time. That may be at the grocery, a shopping center, a park,
> highway rest areas, a walkable neighborhood, a tourist destination, for
> example. Then you can painlessly wait as long as needed for your charge.

Absolutely.  Running with just one example, most travelers will welcome a
periodic pit stop with food and/or drink.

The autoroute aires here usually have surprisingly decent restaurants - hey,
it's France; good food is darn near a legal right.

A standard French lunch, properly enjoyed, will take abouit 2 hours.  That's
plenty of time to charge our Renault Zoe's 52kWh battery from 20% to over
80% at a 22kW AC charging point.  I'm not entirely sure that that's
coincidence.  :-)

In the 1960s, longtime EV list correspondent Bob Rice worked for Bob
Aronson's Electric Fuel Propulsion.  Bob wrote here about EFP's Electric Car
Expressway, with 30kW AC charging at 5 cooperative Holiday Inns along I-94
between Detroit and Chicago.  Every motel had a restaurant.  Bob said that
when he drove the route in EFP's Mars II EVs, he never arrived hungry or
thirsty.  :-)

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     How is the world ruled, and how do wars start?  Diplomats
     tell lies to journalists, and then believe what they read.

                                        -- Karl Kraus

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/