The article calls it an "attack," but that's wrong.  It's a hardware crack
that requires physical access to the car, probably a fair bit of
disassembly, and decent technical skills.

This crack would probably void the warranty. It might earn the owner Elon's
wrath and punishment, maybe to the extent of having the car factory-bricked.
So I doubt that many Tesla owners will try it.

Still, it's not that hard to imagine that some would - some because they
want to master the machine; some for the social media views and profit; some
just because they can.

If you're a Tesla owner, would you?  Will you?  Why or why not?

And given the fact that physical access is necessary, does this say anything
significant about Tesla's data security?

-----

Berlin researchers hacked Tesla autopilot to unlock "Elon mode"
Updated on: December 29, 2023 12:38 PM

Three IT security researchers from Technische Universitaet Berlin (TU
Berlin) glitched Tesla's driving assistant into activating a powerful "Elon
mode" and were able to access the company's secrets, [German news magazine
Der] Spiegel reported. Allegedly, all Tesla models are vulnerable to this
attack.

With tools that cost around 600 euros, TU Berlin students Christian Werling,
Niclas Kühnapfel, and Hans-Niklas Jacob induced a short two-second voltage
drop by 560 millivolts and rooted the ARM64-based circuit board of Tesla's
autopilot.

The voltage glitch enabled researchers to extract arbitrary code and user
data from the system, including cryptographic keys and important system
parts, allowing them to reconstruct how it works ...

The "Elon mode" ... allows Tesla vehicles to self-drive without any driver
input or monitoring ...

[The modification] could also enable premium features for free ... [and]
requires physical access to the circuit board, removing and reinstalling it
without damage, and soldering skills.

Full story:

https://cybernews.com/tech/berlin-researchers-hacked-tesla-autopilot/

Original Der Spiegel article

https://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/tesla-berliner-hacker-knacken-den-
autopilot-a-792d7095-e7ce-4ead-96af-11feec00761a

Unfortunately the Speigel article is paywalled.  Here's another open-access
story based on that article.

https://24hoursworlds.com/automobile/611051/

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Curdled milk, made after a Bulgarian recipe and called "yaghurt,"
     is now a Parisian fad and is believed to be a remedy against growing
     old. A correspondent who has tried it says he would prefer to die
     young.

                                        -- The Elk Falls Journal, 1905

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/