My experience in The Netherlands was that the PE ground was provided
by the utility in parallel to the Neutral and phase connections, no
local bonding other than that the water pipe or the steel radiant
heating pipe was bonded to the incoming ground from the utility. The
only place where the utility ground was staked was at the
"transformerhouse" since the water line coming into the house was not
metallic but typically a type of plastic, there was no grounding
through the bonding to the water and heating lines inside the house,
that was just the safety for the occupants that the water and heating
systems were grounded through the incoming ground wire from the
utility, staked at the secondary of the central transformer.

NOTE that most Norway and a few smaller areas have an "IT" system:
Isolated Terra, in other words: the secondary of the transformer is
*floating*. Ground is staked but not connected to Neutral. Each of the
phases can have any ground potential between 0V and 400V, depending
only on faults in the system, but the advantage is that you can have a
single ground fault in the system WITHOUT losing power. This was seen
as an advantage for Hospitals and apparently was used for most of
Norway. This make the (required for EV chargers) "ground presence"
detection impossible for Norway, so we had to add a defeat option that
could be enabled for chargers shipped to Norway's IT areas.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/