Not surprising!

In-wheel is fraught with issues.   The big one is the horrible unsprung
mass ratio, this is especially a problem on small/light vehicles.   It will
cause a very poor ride and handling, and cause things like loss of control
when you hit a bump. (wheel will stay in the air much longer!)

It's even observable on the little electric scooters with wheel motors.  On
some models going over a small bump while on a turn will cause a low-side
pretty fast!   Exacerbated by the small contact patch and tiny aspect of
the tires.