Katie

From: Evergreen-general <evergreen-general-boun...@list.evergreen-ils.org> On
Behalf Of Elaine Hardy via Evergreen-general
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2023 8:03 AM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group <evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org>
Cc: Elaine Hardy <eha...@georgialibraries.org>
Subject: Re: [Evergreen-general] How do you keep your OCLC holdings up to date?

We send files once a month to OCLC to update holdings. Chris Sharp will have
more info on how that happens. We haven't had any issues with the file not
being processed within a few days. We have had issues where passwords have
expired or something else prevents the files from going through. We could do it
more often under our contract with OCLC; but, a month works for our libraries.

PINES only updates holdings and doesn't delete since Evergreen doesn't report
the last copy for a system in a consortial environment where we all have
separate OCLC symbols. Each system is responsible for their own deletes and we
have a report they use  to help. In reality, we know that some libraries never
delete their holdings. OCLC does have a new, free mini reclamation process that
we hope to take advantage of again to keep holdings up to date.

Elaine

[https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/bpjlHkZIWY-VYFVLNA9ro5_6N4c7AxtzAPQhhzTKXaM1luxXME10aRo56LngwgoMXQ-OptUpmewQo8ljPZNpd7H2nZx09Xns4m_RVJ6D7NoWhha3cHDFxXExYWy2c7E0qfs3M5WC]

J. Elaine Hardy, PINES and Collaborative Projects Manager

________________________________

Georgia Public Library Service

2872 Woodcock Blvd., Suite 250 | Atlanta, GA 30341

(404) 235-7128 | eha...@georgialibraries.org<mailto:eha...@georgialibraries.org>

(404) 548-4241 | Cell

[https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/wjWdJl8zhUVb20FdmA0VXc4J9O5c0fKk1TTRabfYTrAZPyt8gtuVsgSIP_gPDaSD0mpvMRmzVxbpurZbyAzV1VrEHAKJUAZkUeSVH-CLb0KFkL6pHU_v09gN6QRKIRtUq1iR-Zbn]<https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>

[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/9dDBepVWGW2bIMC615q1KfmBTkk04sQENYf3r3X4IP5eYttphc5NQh1IZ4vsfVKxNeDquYf251jJKz3GP8Gs0LSo5nPIlC1gZsTcmFlhGRuaM0RSbHJXxpqqwAVJgjcKud5Jzgop]
 <https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
[https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qC0XM1vBNxEXGw_lKy9Mi0CItlEXSk42qcHTINcYfBgysbcUifEX39mTV0CvllVyEzZUU7Di1U3uQ4N5hKG7244DAaWAfZIxP3HldZONwuBMo1KdTdPe_5SUXG44S8MQvRFkWJcj]
 <https://www.instagram.com/georgialibraries/>

Georgia libraries making an impact in our communities.

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live
near him. — J.R.R. Tolkien

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 12:12 PM Josh Stompro via Evergreen-general
<evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org<mailto:evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org>>
 wrote:
Hello Benjamin, we use the OCLC Metadata api to keep our holdings up to date in
OCLC on a twice daily basis.  It is a process based off of a custom db table
that just holds all the OCLC numbers found in our DB, and a few bash and perl
scripts.  We don't try and track last copies being withdrawn, we just let them
know any time an OCLC number is no longer associated with any available copies,
and vice versa.

I also had a system setup to upload files of adds and deletes, but that was
such a pain because someone at OCLC had to manually process them, and randomly
they would just skip doing it.  Or else it would take them between 1 and 18
days to process the file.  So I had to also have a system to check if or when
they actually processed it.  The Metadata api simplifies that.

The metadata api does have issues with subsumed numbers though... they will
sometimes return the new OCLC number so we can update our numbers, but
sometimes they won't and they just report the old number as not existing.  So I
think we will have to do a manual reclamation once a year to catch those.
(There is a way to get a dump of bibs that OCLC thinks you have to compare with
what you actually have for free.)

The API hasn't always been smooth going, OCLC switched servers last year and
cloudflare started blocking all our requests.  There was zero debugging info on
our end, just dropped connections.  It took months to get in touch with someone
that could actually fix it.

I'm happy to share all my code and notes if anyone wants it.

Josh

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 10:31 AM Murphy, Benjamin via Evergreen-general
<evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org<mailto:evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org>>
 wrote:
We’ve been talking with some academic libraries about using Evergreen. An
important process for them is keeping their OCLC holdings information up to
date. For those of you that use OCLC, do you have and sort of automated
procedures that help you update your holdings information?

Benjamin Murphy
NC Cardinal Program Manager
State Library of North Carolina
benjamin.mur...@ncdcr.gov<mailto:benjamin.mur...@ncdcr.gov>  |
https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/services-libraries/nc-cardinal
109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600
The State Library is part of the NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.
Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina
Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.