We've found that resource sharing is one of the most popular aspects of our
consortium. We've had some systems that expressed hesitancy out of concern for
the extra work, their materials not being on the shelves, being damaged/lost,
etc. When patrons suddenly have access to so many more materials, and they
start flowing in the door that tends to change minds. We make sure to emphasize
the 6 month age hold protection, aka if you paid for it, your patrons get first
dibs. But, on the other side of that getting value for your money coin, if you
have a 25 book set of Western novels and one goes missing, there's all the
other libraries someone can get it from so you don't have to spend your
collection development money buying another one. We notice that outgoing
traffic has pretty good polarity with incoming traffic, so small libraries send
and receive less stuff.

A few things that come to mind...

Benjamin Murphy
NC Cardinal Program Manager
State Library of North Carolina
benjamin.mur...@dcnr.nc.gov<mailto:benjamin.mur...@ncdcr.gov>  |
https://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/services-libraries/nc-cardinal
109 East Jones Street  | 4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600
The State Library is part of the NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources.
Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina
Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
Please note new email address