(317) 232-3691

From: Evergreen-general <evergreen-general-boun...@list.evergreen-ils.org> On
Behalf Of Terran McCanna via Evergreen-general
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2024 12:16 PM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group <evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org>
Cc: Terran McCanna <tmcca...@georgialibraries.org>
Subject: Re: [Evergreen-general] Feature idea for patrons accounts;
Personalized Carousels

**** This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or
click links from unknown senders or unexpected email. ****
________________________________
I feel fairly certain this would be a pretty massive project to come up with a
way to determine recommendations and may or may not be worth the time and
development expense since there are third party vendors that already do similar
things as part of their core business. Syndetics and NoveList added content
will both provide recommendations at the title or author level (ie, you look up
a book you liked and it will recommend others that are available to you through
the library), and then there are other companies that can generate
recommendations based on personal reading history - that is going to depend on
providing them with a certain amount of user data though, and that gets really
tricky with patron confidentiality.

Of course, users can also download their reading history as a CSV file and
upload it to GoodReads themselves if they are somewhat savvy - this could
probably made easier with a relatively small development project to allow
patrons to export their booklist in a format that was specifically compatible
to goodreads so they wouldn't have to do any editing to it (unless they wanted
to) after they downloaded it.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 11:37 AM Johnathon Redmon via Evergreen-general
<evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org<mailto:evergreen-general@list.evergreen-ils.org>>
 wrote:
I'm a cataloger, not a programmer so I don't know how reasonable (or possible)
this is. But ever since I first heard about the idea of carousels, I've dreamed
of being able to log into my patron account and have a netflix style
recommendation carousel hooked on to an algorithm that suggests items based on
the 1xx, 6xx and 7xx marc fields of items you've recently checked out. What
would be the possibility of such a feature, and what kind of hurdles would have
to be jumped to do this?

--
Johnathon Redmon
Technical Services Cataloging Clerk