Lennart Nilsson wrote:

But in fact, the only thing that privileges the set of all
computational

operations that we see in nature, is that they are instantiated by

the laws of physics. It is only through our knowledge of the physical

world

that we know of the di.erence between computable and not computable. So

it's only through our laws of physics that the nature of computation can

be

understood. It can never be vice versa."

I don't agree. I think computability is a pure abstract property
describing the reachability of some states (or state descriptions)
from others via a set of incrementally different states (or
state descriptions). I think computability is tied to
notions of locality. But computability may define locality
and not the other way around.

Eric

--
   "We are all in the gutter,
    but some of us are looking at the stars."