On Wed, 25 May 2005, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

<SNIP>
Consider these two parallel arguments using a version of the anthropic principle:

(a) In the multiverse, those worlds which have physical laws and constants very different to what we are used to may greatly predominate. However, it is no surprise that we live in the world we do. For in those other worlds, conditions are such that stars and planets could never form, and so observers who are even remotely like us would never have evolved. The mere fact that we are having this discussion therefore necessitates that we live in a world where the physical laws and constants are very close to their present values, however unlikely such a world may at first seem. This is the anthropic principle at work.

(b) In the multiverse, those worlds in which it is a frequent occurence that the laws of physics are temporarily suspended so that, for example, talking white rabbits materialise out of thin air, may greatly predominate. However, it is no surprise that we live in the orderly world that we do. For in those other worlds, although observers very much like us may evolve, they will certainly not spend their time puzzling over the curious absence of white rabbit type phenomena. The mere fact that we are having this discussion therefore necessitates that we live in a world where physical laws are never violated, however unlikely such a world may at first seem. This is the *extreme* anthropic principle at work.

If there is something wrong with (b), why isn't there also something wrong with (a)?

--Stathis Papaioannou

Good point, this is a fundamental weakness of the AP. If you take it to extremes, we should not be surprised by *anything* because the entire history of our past light-cone to date, down to specific microscopic quantum events, is required in order to account for the fact that you and I are having this particular exchange. To give the AP force, you have to work on the most general possible level (hence it was a big mistake for Barrow & Tipler to restrict it to "carbon-based life forms" in their book, certainly not in line with Brandon Carter's original thought).

Paddy Leahy