Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

Hello Dave/Chris,

I agree with everything you say, and have long admired "The Hedonistic Imperative". Motivation need not be linked to pain, and for that matter it need not be linked to pleasure either. We can imagine an artificial intelligence without any emotions but completely dedicated to the pursuit of whatever goals it has been set. It is just a contingent fact of evolution that we can experience pleasure and pain.

I don't know how you can be sure of that.  How do you know that being
completely dedicated is not the same has having a motivating emotion?

Brent Meeker