John Mikes writes:

Friends:
Siding with Mark (almost?<G>)
just to a 'wider' view of mentality than implied by
physicalistic - physiologistic - even maybe
comp-related frameworks, indicating the domains we did
not even discovered, but love to disregard. Upon Marks
post --- Stathis Papaioannou (wroteamong more): <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >...
Our bodies, including all neural tissue, are
constantly falling apart and being rebuilt.
Experiments with radiolabeled amino acids in mice, for example, suggest that the half life of protein in
the brain is about 10 days. The turnover at synapses
is even faster, a matter of minutes. So given months or years, you really are like a car in
which every single component has been replaced, the
only remaining property of the original car being the
design....<
Is it really?
Are we a mchanistic isolated structure and an
unchanging mechanism fabricates the replacements
exactly according to the 'origina' blueprint?
All that in a world that changes continually?
Don't the 'fanricating' units also change (including
the rules of fabrication? Don't the changed
replacement
 parts influence the complexity of actions? Are we not
subject to a changing world with responding to more
than just 'inside' activity-patterns?
That may be applicable to a computer-contraption of
our present (first) embryonic primitivity and its
restriction into a hardware designed exactly and
exclusively for a type of software similarly designed
for exclusive application, - in 'that' hardware using
that ridiculously primitive binary system 'we' so
ingeniously invented to simulate in a 'very first'
elevation SOME of our mental functions (in the first
place arithmetical ones).

I am sure you do not deny a plasticity (I like
elasticity better) of the mind - I would add: and
body, i.e. ourselves, (everything in the world?)
stemming for 'replacements' with adjustment to the
changing ambiance - even unlimited environment (just
consider as an example our 'plastic' recollections vs
a rigid machine-memory) as in eye-witness reports.
Do you have exactly the same mentality by rigidly
replaced identical 'neuronal etc.' substitutes as was
the little rascal who went to his first communion? Or even same-thinking as you did when joining this list?
A negative to that: senescence is part of it, change
is not only 'addition', it is by 'streamlining' also
eliminating design-aspects all the way to destructing
the 'original' design. In a world-dynamism. Complexly.

You're right of course: we are not like a car in which all the parts have been repalced, but like a car in which the parts have been replaced with approximately similar ones.

Stathis Papaioannou