On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/1/14 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Given the ways ASSA has been defined, I think there are two possible
> camps
> > within ASSA.  One that believes there is a next moment for you to
> > experience, chosen randomly from among all, and another
> which believes there
> > is no next moment, the observer is the observer moment, an eternal
> thought.
> >  In that respect, ASSA would be more likely to tie the informational
> state
> > to the consciousness rather than the computational process itself.  In
> the
> > fixed, no next OM model, which one you find yourself is sampled from
> among
> > all OMs, just who you start is is selected within RSSA.
> > One might think it is absurd to believe they will never observer the next
> > moment, that they might be stuck forever never having finished this
> > sentence, and that 5 seconds from now will prove this idea wrong.  But
> > perhaps the you who waited 5 seconds is simply the OM you will be
> forever.
> >  Problems defining personal identity only creep in between the extremes
> > of believing every OM is a unique observer and believing all OMs belong
> > the same observer.  The latter idea is more interesting to me, as it
> yields
> > reasons for why we should plan and work for the future, and why it is
> good
> > to treat others as they would like to be treated, while the former offers
> no
> > reason, or even ability to try or do anything.
>
> You can't deny that it *seems* there is a next OM and it *seems* that
> there is a set of OM's constituting your life. This would happen even
> if in fact all the OM's were completely separate, disconnected
> entities. In other words, the question of whether the OM's are
> separate or belong to the one observer is meaningless, since there is
> no subjective difference.

I agree, there is no subjective difference.  But I think there is a logical
difference, if you are only your current OM why go to work when some other
OM will enjoy the fruits of that labor?  But by attaching every OM to the
same observer then there is a reason to make sacrifices such as work to the
benefit and hopefully overall improvement of the collection of OMs.  While
one might believe all OM's exist so it doesn't matter what anyone does it is
possible to escape this in believing the number or measure of OMs matters.
This has also been a matter of contention on this list.

Jason