On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Stathis Papaioannou
> <stath...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2010/1/14 Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > Interesting so far:
>> > - people are about evenly divided on the question of whether computers
>> > can be conscious
>> > - no-one really knows what to make of OM's
>> > - more people believe cats are conscious than dogs
>>
>> Oh, and one person does not believe that they are conscious! Come on,
>> who's the zombie?

The main problem I had with the question is that consciousness isn't
defined. So I took it to mean "conscious like me" and hence didn't choose
anyone but 'me'  'others' and 'aliens' in the consciousness section.

That said, I don't really believe there is an 'absolute' concsiousness; I
think everything is as conscious as it is allowed to be by it's initial
configuration. It just so happens that our configuration is higher than
dogs, thus we appear "more" conscious. For this reason I also, obviously,
answered that computers can become "conscious" (and that is to say, can be
brought to our level; i.e. we invent ourselves).

--
silky
 http://www.mirios.com.au/

redeposit = hyperlink colorlessness: fetishism. PATHFINDER? Disarmingly:
BAPTISTERY nebulousl...