David Nyman wrote:
On 16 February 2010 22:21, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

Consciousness could be computable in the sense that if you are the
computation, you have the experience.

Yes, but that's precisely not the sense I was referring to.  Rather
the sense I'm picking out is that neither the existence, nor the
specifically experiential characteristics, of any 1-p component over
and above the 3-p level of description is accessible (computable) in
terms of any such 3-p narrative.  Consequently any reference to such a
component at the 3-p level seems inexplicable.  This leads some (e.g.
Dennett, if I've understood him) to try to finesse this by claiming
that 1-p experience only "seems" to exist - IOW that when 3-me refers
to 3-my "conscious experience" this is merely a 3-p reference to some
equivalent computational aspect which is fully sufficient to account
for all the resultant 3-p phenomena.  The 1-p "seeming" is then
supposed to be, in some under-defined sense, "identical" to this
computation.

But for two manifestly distinct levels of description to have any
prospect of being seen as "identical", they must  be capable of being
discarded individually, in order to be jointly reconciled in terms of
a single more fundamental level clearly compatible with both - this is
the only manoeuvre that could validate any non-question-begging
ascription of "identity".

But suppose we had a really good theory and understanding of the brain so that we could watch yours in operation on some kind of scope (like an fMRI, except in great detail) and from our theory we could infer that "David's now thinking X. And it's going to lead him to next think Y. And then he'll remember Z and strenghten this synapse over here. And..." Then wouldn't you start to regard the 1-p account as just another level of description, as when you start you car on a cold day it "wants" a richer fuel mixture and the ECU "remembers" to keep the idle speed up until it's warm.

Brent

ISTM that the Dennettian approach is merely
to *assert* - given the undeniable "seeming" of conscious experience -
that this *must* be the case, whilst offering no glimmer of what the
nature of such a transcendent level of reconciliation could possibly
be.

David