On 17 February 2010 02:08, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure in what sense you mean "gratuitous".  In a sense it is
> gratuitous to describe anything - hence the new catch-phrase, "It is what it
> is."  If one is just a different description of the other then they have the
> same consequences - in different terms.

What I mean is that it is superfluous to what we presume is already a
complete account (i.e. the 3-p one) of all the relevant events and
their consequences.  We would have no reason to suspect (nor could we
characterise) the existence of 1-p experience if we only had access to
the 3-p account.  Furthermore, if we believe the 3-p account to be
complete and causally closed, we are committed to accepting that all
thoughts, beliefs, statements or behaviour apparently relating to 1-p
experience are in fact entirely motivated by the 3-p account.  This
leads to the paradox of the existence of 3-p references to 1-p
experiences which simply cannot be extrapolated from the 3-p account
(i.e. they are non-computable).

>> More problematic still,
>> neither the existence nor the experiential characteristics of 1-p
>> experience is computable from the confines of the 3-p narrative.
>
> How do you know that?   In my computation of what's happening in your brain
> I might well say, "And *there's* where David is feeling confused."

Yes, of course.  But you can only analogise with some "feeling of
confusion" to which you have (or "seem" to have) personal privileged
access (this is the really hard bit to keep in mind).  Had you no
access to such 1-p experience (e.g. you were one of Chalmers'
affect-less zombies) you would have no basis from which to extrapolate
from the 3-p account to 1-p experience, or even to suspect such a
possibility or what its nature could be (hence non-computable).
Nonetheless, belief in the causal completeness and closure of the 3-p
account simultaneously commits us to believing that all your beliefs,
statements and behaviour with respect to "1-p" would be unaltered!
This is the paradox.

The standard move, which is implicit in your proposal, is to try to
wave all this away by asserting the "identity" of 3-p and 1-p.  I'm
trying to say two things about this: first, it's meaningless to say
that two different things are identical without showing how their
apparent differences are to be reconciled; second, if we accept this
it leaves us in the position of continuing to exhibit every one of our
thoughts, beliefs, statements and behaviours with respect to 1-p
experience, even though the existence and nature of such phenomena
can't be computed from the basis of 3-p, and even in the case that the
phenomena didn't exist at all!  This doesn't strike me as a
satisfactory resolution.

David