2010/8/2 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>

>  On 8/1/2010 3:42 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>

> 2010/8/2 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>
>
>>  On 8/1/2010 3:24 PM, Brian Tenneson wrote:
>>
>> I quite agree that counting and the existence of numbers are different.
>>
>> The Peano axioms for numbers makes it seem like numbers are not dependent
>> on us humans to exist which entails that there are infinite sets by assuming
>> an induction property held by (sets of) numbers.
>>
>> So while counting may not have been around forever, numbers have,
>> independent of us humans.  The Peano axioms are totally free of human
>> baggage
>>

>>  I don't think so.  Where's the natural instance of "successor". "This is
>> a successor of that" seems to me a human conceptualization based on the
>> mental equivalent of moving pebbles into a group.  That it can be done
>> indefinitely is merely a convenient assumption.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> The only problem is if numbers were a human invention... other humans could
> come with a prime number that is even and not 2... There would exists a
> biggest number, 1+1=2 could be false somewhere sometime (even by following
> the rules that makes 1+1=2 true always)...
>

> They can and do.  In modulo two arithmetic 1+1=0.  You can invent all kinds
> of number systems or other logics and axiomatic systems.

You did not read entirely... quoting: 'even by following the rules that
makes 1+1=2 true always'

rules == axiomatic systems. So if you use the standard definition of
addition in base 10.. 1+1=2 always, if it's a human invention, it can be
otherwise somewhere sometimes even if you use the standard definition of
addition in base 10.

> Mathematical truth are independent of humans, life and the universe and the
> rest, it's nonsense if it's otherwise.
>

> What's "it's" in the above sentence?

It's, is the fact that mathematical truths are independent of humans.

Quentin