On 21 Nov 2010, at 09:11, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

It seems to me that there is no that much difference between Universes with complete determinism and inherent randomness. Rex put it quite well here

Intelligence and Nomologicalism Optionen
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list/browse_frm/thread/5ab5303cdb696ef5

From the viewpoint of Wolfram (I guess it is close to the statement that the Universe is some kind of a cellular automaton), it does not matter much if a node is fully deterministic or random.

The account on free will by Wolfram is coherent with the mechanist assumption, and is a good example of how computer science can help to build a compatibilist account of free will.

But his account of physicalness is wrong. He is forced to put the quantum weirdness (non locality notably) under the rug, and he is not aware that if "we" are machine, then the observable reality cannot be a machine. By the mechanist first person indeterminacy, the observable reality has to be a non constructive (non Turing emulable) first person plural reality.

Also, I begin to think that digital mechanism entails also that the physical universe is infinite in time, space and scale. The big bang would only be a local explosion/singularity, and not the (physical) origin of the cosmos.

Bruno