On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 4/15/2011 1:36 PM, Rex Allen wrote:

>>> It is not word-jugglery.  It's legal terminology and distinguishes what
>>> someone does out of their personal desires as compared to what they do
>>> under
>>> threat of coercion.  Compatibilist free will corresponds with the legal
>>> term.
>>>

>> What court has ever ruled that libertarian free will does not exist?
>>

> What court has ever ruled that it does exist?  None.  That's not a question
> courts rule on.  They decide on coerced vs not coerced, competent vs not
> competent.  They don't address metaphysics.

Then compatibilism is not legal terminology, and so gains no legitimacy there.

Compatibilism involves redefining words associated with the
traditional notion of "free will" in such a way as to make determinism
seem compatibile with free will.

But if I get to redefine terms unilaterally, I can make anything seem
compatible with anything else.  On paper at least.

Compatibilism is just a technical term for "free will related word jugglery".

I'm not sure what you meant by your claim that it was "legal terminology".

>> What percentage of legislators, judges, lawyers, and jurors do you
>> think are compatibilists vs. libertarian on free will?
>>

> What percentage are pre-destinationists?  What percentage are fatalists?
>  Who cares?

People who claim that compatibilism is a legal term, I assume.