On Jul 22, 4:08 am, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > **
> > On 7/21/2011 1:16 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:30 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> If your mind is a computer, you don't even need to point to them,
> >> everything you see and experience is direct evidence of the existence of
> >> the
> >> computation implementing your mind.
>
> >> Also, I don't think the "point test" works for everything that has a
> >> concrete existence.  How would a many-worlder point to the other branches
> >> of
> >> the wave function, or an eternalist point to the past?  How would an AI or
> >> human in a virtual environment point to the concrete computer that is
> >> rendering its environment?

> >> Is a chair the same thing as a description of a chair, or an idea of a
> >> chair?

> >> Assume both matter and number relations exist.  With comp, the existence
> >> of number relations explains the existence of matter,
>
> >>  That's the question.  It seems that comp requires more than the existence
> >> of number relations, it requires the existence of a UD or equivalent.
>
> > The Fibonacci sequence is, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144...
> > It is defined by the simple number relation Fib(n) = Fib(n-1) + Fib(n-2).
> > This is a simple recursive definition.  You might even say the number line
> > has a simple recursive definition, where Number(n) = Number(n-1) + 1.
> > Different recursive definitions result in different sequences of numbers
> > (different ways of progressing through the integers).  In some of these
> > definitions, bits patterns (within the number) may move around in well
> > defined ways,
>
> > There's the rub.  Nothing changes in Platonia.  Nothing "moves around" or
> > "computes".  Bit patterns are physical things, like 101101.  Numbers are
> > not.
>
> Nothing changes in physics either.  Block time is the only consistent view
> given relativity.
>
> Things don't need to move to compute, there just need to be well defined
> relations between the bits.

And every computation either stops or doens't? There seems
to me a mismatch between timelessness and computation.

> >  some of these bit patterns become self-reproducing, and may even evolve
> > into more complex bit patterns, which are better able to reproduce
> > themselves.  Some of these bit patterns may even evolve consciousness, as
> > they build brains which attempt to discern and predict future observations
> > of bit patterns within the number.  Let's call this function Universe.
> > There may be bit patterns (life forms) in Universe(n) which improve their
> > survival or reproductive success by correctly predicting parts of
> > Universe(n+x).  There are number relations which define such sequences of
> > numbers; you cannot deny their existence without denying the Fibonacci
> > sequence or the number line (these are just simpler instances of recursive
> > relations).
>
> > I can deny that the numbers exist the way tables and do and still accept
> > that certain relations are true of them; just like I can accept that John
> > Watson was a friend of Sherlock Holmes.
>
> Numbers, unlike fictional characters, are co-eternal with the universe,

Meaning they end with the universe? Why assume that? What difference
does it make.

> if
> not the cause of the universe.

Causation requires events. Maths is timeless.

> In that sense, they are just as concrete if
> not more concrete than any physical object.  Your view is like that of a
> being who has spent its whole life in a simulated virtual environment: It
> believes the virtual reality and items in it are "more real" than the actual
> computer which implements the virtual environment.  The beings only
> justification for this belief is that he can't access that computer using
> his senses, nor point is he able to point to it.
>
> Jason

I think we all have  a pretty strong justification for the Real
Reality
theory in the shape of Occam's razor.