On 11 Aug 2011, at 14:16, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Aug 11, 1:14 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

The conclusion is that such a device is
impossible because it leads to conceptual difficulties.

Consciousness itself leads to conceptual difficulties. Except for the
fact that we cannot ignore that it is undeniable, we could never
logically conceive of consciousness.

Can we logically conceive a reality?

What can be shown is that each of two universal machines put in front of each other can develop a true and incommunicable belief in a reality. I think that's consciousness. It is an instinctive belief in a reality. Self-consciousness is that same belief but with a belief in a separation between the believer and the believed.