On Sep 3, 8:59 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:
> > Stathis,
>
> > I do not understand you. It is not me, it is you who are talking about
> > souls. I have just asked you to explain the phenomenon that I observe and
> > you have not done it yet.
>
> Well, either the atoms got into the book by following the rules of
> physics or they got there by magic. What other options are there? This
> does not mean that the rules of physics are all known, all
> deterministic or all computable; but whatever they are, the atoms in
> the universe bounce around according to them and end up in books,
> stars and people.

Whatever physical phenomena are observed to be doing, the laws of
physics are extended to allow for. Quantum mechanics is magic, until
physicists call it physics. It's upside down to imagine that our
observations need to fit into our existing rule book, especially when
those observations (like first person singular subjectivity, free
will, qualia, feeling, awareness, perception, etc) both cannot be
denied and cannot be explained within the existing rules.

If I were more of a materialist, I would say that the odds that we
happen to be living in the one era of all of history when our
knowledge of physics coincides with objective truth are astronomically
unlikely and radically anthropocentric. Given our collective history
of willingness to cling to irrational superstition and shortsighted or
premature scientific theory, I see no reason to consider our
contemporary chapter of science any more sacrosanct than that of
centuries past. History has shown that we have always been completely
wrong about the universe. Until our explanation of the universe
accounts fully for all subjective and objective phenomena in their
native presentations, it seems obvious that we have a long long way to
go. Right now, particle physics accounts for human experience about as
much as the Holy Trinity accounts for quarks.

Craig