On 09 Oct 2011, at 18:20, John Mikes wrote:

In the Bruno - Brent exchange I enjoyed Bruno''s remarks Usually I agree with BrentM. Probability (in my terms) means a distribution within infinite bounds, no specifics for probable/non probable. The 'fantasy-world' of physics is a time-related explanatory Procrustean bed for those partly (maybe at all?) understood phenomena that transpired (BY OBSERVATION - Bruno) till 'yesterday into our knowledge-base
(forget about oomniscient Comp).
It works "almost well" in circumstances we realize today. (Consider some mishaps that occur,,,) "Whole Physics" IMO is the conventional science we carry as of yesterday. It includes the ancient 'facts' (measurements?) ad their refutations by fantasy-land theories (Q-chapters) as well as the modifications by math (another fantasy-land IMO.) Granted: we travel in space, predict genetics, screw-up economics, have societal predictions and ruin our environment very successfully. We don't understand anything. Comp does (if it exists) but it is not understandable to us. Logic? which one? the Zarathustrian octimality(8)? or the equation of opposites? (which is btw. a true outcome of the infinite everything). I THINK (not sure!) self-reference is anchoring ourselves into our ignorance. Unfortunately we have no better means to contemplate with than our material infested brain-function, a poor excuse for mentality. Even the R.Rosen version infinite complexity worldview (with a base of unknowable everything) is restricted to our models made up of human-mind approved topics and features, processes and happenings - an array of conventional thinking. (I have no proof that the 'model-content' indeed represents anything from the infinite complexity and its relations.) BTW there is no proof at all. Only in a restricted limitational view. Evidence: ditto. So what do we have? a thinking agnosticism - acknowleged ignorance, but we use it very skillfully.

Sorry to blunderize the holly Grail of science thinking.

I agree with all what you say here, John. Indeed the mechanist assumption go far well in that direction. It extends it a lot, to be sure, because you can replace "our human limitation" by our "Löbian limitation", and this leads to a reversal of the aristotelian view of reality into the older one by Plato, and developed by the rationalist mystics, like Plato itself, Parmenides, Theaetetus, Plotinus, etc.

Comp might not be true, but it provides at least a quite different rationalist picture of reality. Which is fun, OK?
Comp is the Salvia divinorum of rationalism :)

Bruno